Belgium was liberated 75 years ago. The event heralded the end of the Second World War in Europe. This year the national holiday draws attention to this anniversary. A special tribute will also be paid to all the men and women who, in one way or another, fought Covid-19.
Festivities will be launched at 2 p.m. A parade will be organised, but on a limited scale. The official stands will face the Royal Palace and the King will hold a brief address. Queen Mathilde, Princess Elisabeth, Prince Gabriel, Prince Emmanuel, Princess Eleonore, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Prince Laurent will also be present. Five F-...
Tunic of the 16th Dragoon regiment (2. Hannoversches Dragoner-Regiment), German Imperial Army, model 1915, worn by the German Emperor Wilhelm II.
In May 2020 the WHI acquired a true treasure. The First World War collection now also features a cavalry uniform jacket of the 16th Dragoon regiment, that belonged to the last German Emperor Wilhelm II (1859-1941).
A silk tailor’s label of court supplier Noé & Schultze, with the Emperor’s signature in blue pencil, as well as an embroidered regiment label for the 2nd Hanoverian Dragoon regiment n° 16 with the hand-sewn imperial monogram and crown, do not leave an...
On Wednesday 8 July from 6 p.m. onwards a two-hour DJ set by artist Luna Semara on the Cinquantenaire arcade will air on social media!
Festivals were cancelled, tours delayed, album releases interrupted, etc. Just like the entire cultural sector in Belgium the music scene was and is badly hit by the sanitary crisis. Impact on artists still is difficult to estimate, but the effects will be far from minor, especially for budding musicians. Hangar keeps airing live DJ sets in order to raise money for associations running into financial difficulties because of the corona pandemic.
The fund calls for solidarity a...
Het Fort Eben-Emael - an immense underground complex and in its time one of the largest and strongest fortifications in Europe - was considered impregnable. Until May 10, 1940, when a German elite unit of paratroopers seized the fortress during a spectacular attack.
The fort is reopened : you can now discover - in safe conditions, of course - the reconstructed barracks, the museum, the immense corridors and the battle stations.
More information about the fort and the corona security measures and reservation: www.fort-eben-emael.be
Photo © Fort Eben - Emael
Take advantage of the summer to discover our collections under the sign of the "mask"!
Masks to protect yourself from gas, weapon blows, the sun or the scorching desert wind... Masks that bring oxygen to the pilot, protect the tank-rider's eyes or allow the parachutist to camouflage himself...
Come and follow our different courses:
- QRCodes tour: discover the history and usefulness of about thirty masks by scanning the QRCode placed on the display case (available in FR, NL and ENG).
- geocaching " Masks " tour: follow the trail of the masks by answering the questions. Pay attention and you will find the...
Reopening of Cdoc to external visitors!
As weeks of confinement have fuelled your curiosity about your family's military past; as you have embarked on a final time trial for the presentation of your thesis, or simply because you have missed us, you will be happy to learn of the reopening of the documentation centre and its invaluable collections. The procedure is detailed on the Cdoc's home page (link).
For your safety and the safety of our employees, respect the adage: " make an appointment, prepare your visit and wear a mask ".
See you soon!
From 1 July onwards
the Royal Museum of the Army will be open
- from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- the Arcades, the Antarctic space and the Russian collections will be accessible again
- mandatory reservation via: email@example.com or 02/737 78 33 (during opening hours)
- possibility of guided tours by reservation (at the latest 3 weeks before the chosen date) via : firstname.lastname@example.org.
the National Memorial of the Fort of Breendonk will be open:
- from Wednesday to Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- mandatory reservation via: email@example.com or 03/860...
- As of 24 June 2020 students and PhD candidates requiring access to archives in the framework of their scientific activities are once again welcome in the documentation centre reading room upon appointment and provided they wear a face mask. Students are required to present their student ID and PhD candidates have to supply credentials establishing they are linked to a fund for scientific research, a university or a scientific institution.
- As of 1 July 2020 the reading room is accessible to all members of the public.
Bastogne Barracks welcomes you from 1 July till 30 August 2020, with observance of all security measures.
Self-guided visits only (no guided tours). To be visited: the large hall with the Second World War vehicles
The McAuliffe section is not accessible for security reasons
When? Wednesday through Sunday, from 10 a.m. till 4 p.m.
Reservation mandatory : Booking.firstname.lastname@example.org